Monday, July 1, 2013

Happy July!

As you may or may not know, I love making my own clothes. I find it very rewarding, last night I made this just in time for the 4th of July. This is a pretty easy diy project, my biggest problem is finding a place to spray the shirts. Luckily I have a small outside patio with some secondhand furniture I don't mind dying :)
This was a relatively inexpensive craft since I already had most of the necessary things.

This is the same process that I've used before, put I'll put up the instructions just in case :)

You'll need:
  • White shirt, washed and dried, 1 size too big, will shrink.
  • Spray dyes
  • stickers, painters tape, etc. as a stencil to spray
  • soda ash (optional, but will help the colors stay in the shirt!)

Prepare the soda ash as directed on the box, soak fabric as directed and allow to dry.

Apply stickers and painters tape as you desire on the shirt. Remember that what gets taped will be white. Tape both the front and back of the shirt.

In an appropriate area (as in, somewhere you may accidentally spray with dye), spray the shirts with the desired color. I used red on bottom and blue on top for mine :) 


Allow to dry, then flip over and spray the opposite side.

Once shirt has dried, heat set in the dryer on high setting for 20 minutes or iron.

:) Happy Independence Day America

No comments:

Post a Comment