Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Starbucks Cup Costume

It was Halloween, 2015. A small house party was happening at our home. We invited our tight-knit group of friends. Many costumes were picked up from a Halloween shop, others seemed thrown together just that evening. My then fiance (now husband) grouped with a couple of his buddies to be an eighties rock band, a couple friend of ours was Lucy/Ricky from I Love Lucy, and even a homemade angel costume. I was a Starbucks Coffee cup.

Let's take a step back to July 2015. I always start early when it comes to planning for Halloween. I was sipping on a venti white chocolate mocha while searching for DIY costumes on Pinterest. Let me tell you a story: I worked at a Halloween shop while I was a teenager. It was definitely fun to see all the costumes and the craze that comes with finding the perfect costume. But there was a dark side to seeing those costumes: They literally all were made of the cheapest material I've ever seen; plus they averaged at about $60 per costume. It left no appeal to buying costumes from a store. I still cringe thinking about the frayed edges.

Now, I always try to make my own costume with quality materials that are comfortable.

I had scrolled through (probably) hundreds of costumes when I stumbled upon a group of girls posed together wearing Starbucks logos on the front of their white dresses. I became obsessed with the idea of being a Starbucks cup for Halloween. 


Materials:
  • White dress or tank top. I found mine at Forever 21 for about $10
  • Printable Iron-on papers. Hobby Lobby but I don't remember how much
  • Fabric paint in green and black
  • Brown scarf for cup sleeve. $10.
  • White ribbon to wear as lid. Probably only costs about $5 even if you get a whole roll.


I found a Starbucks logo on google, which I blew up to be as big as would fit on the paper. I followed the instructions on the iron on paper.

After the logo was ironed on and cooled, I used fabric paint to fill out the back of the costume to fit my favorite drink. I also wrote a cute "Caution: Extremely hot" on the bottom of the dress, because Why not?

I tied the scarf around my waist and tucked in the ends.

Finally, I tied the white ribbon around my head (but under my hair, because I liked the way it looked better.)

I got tons of compliments on my costume! I was comfortable in it and have been able to use the scarf again. 

Here's a few more photos from that day :)
















No comments:

Post a Comment